Saturday 12 July 2014

Saying hello to a few old friends...

Oh lucky happy old me, I've had a super morning, on many levels. Nature called about 5:15am and as I turned my head from the pillow, the sun shining through the chink in the bedroom curtains dazzled me. Brilliant fortune, because this morning I have plans for a bit of a jaunt in the hills with a first-time fell runner, a lady I've known for decades, who isn't a regular runner, and hasn't walked up a hill for a couple of years now. Yes, its Mrs E, accompanying me on my first foray over the Pentlands for about nine months. Now, I'm not as hill fit as I was a year ago, on account of a lack of hilly outings, and Mrs E, well, even more so. What happened here, hmm, when E Junior decided that he had enough of hill walking, just while I was getting a bit more into hill running, it was difficult for the two of us to get out together in the hills, something we've both been missing. Then life got altogether complicated for me, but let's skip over that part. Anway, E Junior being away with his Granny during school summer holidays this week presented to us an opportunity. So we're going out over the hills, we're going to be a bit on the slow side, there will be quite a bit of walking, especially on the ascents, but so what, honestly I'm fine with that today.

The last time I ventured into these hills was November 2 of last year, in the dark of night, with a friend and (now alas ex-) colleague, Dani from Romania. We set out that night from the car park at Swanston and through the trees to ascend Caerketton. I struggled up with a firework cake in my backpack. Today Mrs E and I will start on the same route, in the light of day, of course no fireworks. No backpack either, we've both got minimal kit in waist packs. As we approach the car park I look up at the hills before and and I'm both excited and apprehensive. The great big bright yellow ball in the sky is now, perhaps alas, obscured by clouds (upside - it is cooler than expected), anyway the start into the trees is enticing.

Looking up at the hills, excited and apprehensive
Enticed at the entrance to the trees.
We soon pass the pretty white-washed cottages at Swanston village and then we're plodding along the gravel path upwards, through a gate to the left and onto the soft earth. The ground around here is often very muddy, but after days of sun is mostly generously dry this morning. We've been mostly walking for a short while, soon we reach a level gravel path leading toward the artificial ski slope at Hillend, and its good to break into an easy run here.

Pretty white-washed cottages at Swanston ...
... then the gravel path leads up to the hills ...
... and on the dirt, dry for a change here.
Gravel path toward the artificial ski slope provides some easy running.
Happily before long we can leave this track and return to the dirt, although it does mean we will soon start a sharp section of ascent. We agree to run to the stone just before the sharp section, and then walk up to the fence around the ski centre. Now our path takes a sharp right onto narrower tracks, sometimes steep, sometimes fairly level, ascending and traversing back toward the summit of Caerketton Hill. I've been along this little path so many times, in all conditions, at all times of day and night, its really good to be here again.

Leaving the gravel track to start the next phase of ascent on the dirt.
The path up to the fence around the ski centre is a bit steep ...
... then a narrow track ascending and traversing to the summit of Caerketton Hill.
I'm feeling good here, I'm going great, I'm very happy to be running up some of the ascent on this path, and power-walk the rest. Mrs E is doing well, but she needs to climb quite a bit slower, so we will meet at the summit cairn. I have a few minutes at the cairn, so time for some photos, and then here comes my better half.

Summit cairn on Caerketton Hill ... been a long time old friend.
Route ahead along the ridge toward Allermuir Hill.
View across the city and down to Arthur's Seat Hill.
Here comes my companion.
Just a quick stop to snap the old plodder and then a run along the ridge down into the Windy Door Nick. We have a bit of camera fun on descent sections along the way, which is nice, very nice. I'm really happy that Mrs E manages to run an ascent section on the ridge. I reach the bealach first and notice that the usual pool of water has dried up in the recent sunshine. The last time I was here I had hauled a firework cake up in the backpack, for a kind of early fireworks celebration with my Romanian friend. Dani and I set the thing off here, and it was pretty good, but alas we made a big mistake. We were downwind and in the sparks, not a good place to be in running gear, as we dashed away in the dark we both fell into this pool to emerge covered in mud ... oh, how we laughed :-)

On top of Caerketton Hill

Descent section on the undulating ridge ...


Mrs E on a descent section ...
... learning the "arms like windmills" method.

The firework-display-drenching-pool has dried up in the sunshine
Leaving the memorable fireworks display drenching scene of last November behind us, we start the climb toward Allermuir Hill. Mrs E goes ahead and shoots a photo sequence of me running up a short ascent section before we both face the final bit of steep to the summit.

Ascending after the Windy Door Nick ...



Facing the final ascent of Allermuir Hill
Views from the summit are great as usual, thank you old friend, first looking along the higher ridge in the distance, then the route forward to Capelaw, and finally back over to Caerketton Hill. Fast descent from the summit of Allermuir Hill, Mrs E practising her descending skills, and we stand before a short sharp ascent to the flatter top of another old friend, Capelaw. The often waterlogged ground is dry, firm and soft, and I want to run to the summit marker. Mrs E is flagging now and prefers to walk, she tells me to run and wait at the summit, takes the camera and shoots a few snaps of me running away into the distance.

Views from Allermuir Hill ...
... the route ahead down to Capelaw ...
... the route behind to Caerketton Hill.
Initial short sharp ascent to the flat top of Capelaw ...
... running away into the distance ...



... I am a dot on the horizon.
Now we descend to return to the car at Swanston. The terrain here coming down from Capelaw is often very wet, but today it is mostly dry, soft yet firm, springy, and real pleasure for running. Soon we must cross a stream, nice to get the feet wet and cool them down a bit here (honestly cannot see the point in waterproof running shoes). The track back to Swanston is very often very muddy but today mostly dry, still I find some of the soft stuff to enjoy. Too soon we reach the old stone stile, hop over, and onto the road beside the golf course back to Swanston farm. Returning to the car park, a good view up to Caerketton Hill, and the satisfaction of thinking to self "I was there not very many minutes ago".

Delightful soft firm springy ground coming down from Capelaw
Splash ...
... and squelch (this one is for you, luci).
The old stone stile marks the end of the dirt today ...
... soon returning to the car park and enjoying the view.
Really enjoyable short run/walk this morning with Mrs E and so happy to be up on the tops in the Pentland Hills again after a too long break. Just about 8.5km, with a moderate total ascent of about 420m, on the go for about 1:45 (not too sure about time due to idiot garmin pilot error but don't much care anyway). Pleased to report that Mrs E really did very well all things considered and managed to run quite a bit more than we had expected this morning. Hoping we can do this together again before long ...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment