Tuesday 29 July 2014

Goodbye Gillies

I've been working at the Touch Stables Business Centre for about twelve years now, and over the last few years enjoying running trails around the estate, on the Gargunnock hills, and best of all through the woods on Gillies Hill above the village of Cambusbarron. We are moving office and today is the last day I will be in this place. We are all busy packing up and moving our computer kit, so some weight-lifting exercise in the morning. Lunch time and the Sun is shining, the breeze swaying the branches, so its time for the old plodder to say goodbye to lovely little Gillies Hill.

Leaving the car at the small parking area near the top of Quarry Road in Cambusbarron, now it starts, the trees and bushes draw me in. I can remember the first time I took this path, with a scrap of a map in my hand, some kind of idea about a route in my head, and the joyous feelings of discovery in my heart. Today I have no map, there is no discovery, I know the maze of paths, but there is the deep pleasure of spending time with an old friend, and perhaps a little sadness because this time is our farewell.

The start as the trees and bushes draw me in, hello old friend.
The path at first is wide and fast, oh happiness, the sunshine through the canopy of leaves. I take a few turns on narrower paths through the undergrowth and soon the climb begins on a bed of brown pine needles, nature offers me some welcome obstacles, jumping and ducking at the fallen trees.

The path fast and wide, oh the sight of sunshine through the trees ...
... a few turns onto narrow fun paths.
The climb begins on a carpet of old pine needles, jump here ...
... and duck here.
Another turn and another complete change of scene, through the bushes. I'm no botanist, I think these are called rhododendron, but I'm not sure. What I do know, what I have captured in my memories, is that when these bushes are in bloom the place is a riot of colour, a visual feast. The leaves and branches caress me as I dash through, I hear the sweet songs of birds, I smell the earth and the scent of the flora, I am in heaven. Of course this plant species is not indigenous, and would not be here but for the hand of mankind. I am soon at the ruins of 'Polmaise Castle', well not a castle as such, but a grandiose house, built in the baronial style in 1865. One hundred and one years later, the building having been in ruin for decades and unsafe, it was demolished.

Another tun and change of scene ...
... dashing and brushing through the bushes ...
... to the ruins of 'Polmaise Castle'
Leaving the ruins I find evidence of a recent party. Party is great, who doesn't like to party? But please folk, this is a beautiful place, don't spoil it, clear up your rubbish! Briefly passing through a small clearing in the trees the first intimate bracken encounter of the day (more to come). The paths lead me down into a small valley (oh the sunlight through the leaves again here!) and then the climb begins again as I pass the mountain biker entertainments.

Litter-bugs, harrumph!
Intimate encounter with bracken ...
... down into a small valley ...
... up past the mountain biker features ...
... and up toward the summit.
I'm heading toward the small grove of Giant Sequoia at the top of the hill, imported and planted in the 1860s. First I must negotiate a wee piece which we came to know as "the scrambley bit". These are indeed fine trees but alas they are under threat, just a few feet further is the edge of a quarry which has cut deep into this pretty little hill. There was once a small lake here but the quarry destroyed it long ago, this is sad because there had been a local tradition of walking up to the lake on a Sunday. The owners have permission to extend the quarry and these trees might disappear evermore, all for the sake of some gravel. The local folk have organised a campaign in opposition.

The "scrambley" bit before ...

... the magnificent Sierra Redwoods.
The path from here winds down and up, through tunnels in the rhododendron (duck!), and soon to a crossroads (or is that a crosspaths?). To my left a sharp descent to the bottom of the old quarries, to my right the fast route back to the car park, ahead a small climb to the site of an Iron Age hill fort. I choose the route ahead, superb views there, great place for a fort.

Duck through the tunnel in the rhododendron
The path ahead up to the site of the Iron Age hill fort for some good views ...
... over Touch estate ...
.. and the Gargunnock Hills (sweet running there) ...
... and the Ochil hills (good hard running there).
I'm leaving the viewpoint on a narrow path through the bracken over the tops of the old quarries. There are so many little footpaths criss-crossing around here, a real maze, so the route plan is "follow paths at will in the general direction" ... at times the paths are hard to find in the high bracken. Soon to reach a relatively clear area and good sight of the older quarries, there are a few folk climbing here, they tell me the climbing is good, and a dog walker passes with a friendly "hello".

Leaving the viewpoint on narrow paths through the bracken ...
... and sometimes just "through the bracken".
Looking toward the older quarry.
I am almost done now, a fast easy descent through the trees to the small very old quarry, the first quarry near the car park, overgrown and a jumble of a place.

Fast easy descent through the trees ...
... to the overgrown very old quarry ...
... a real jumble of a place.
Oh what a lovely three quarters of an hour spent romping around on Gillies Hill this lunchtime, I've just done about 5.6km and climbed about 200m, and spent perhaps too much time with the camera. It has been so warm, my vest is soaked in sweat. Luckily for me, most of the time, the leaves have provided gentle shade. Goodbye Gillies, you've been really great, I pray the quarries will erode you no more. There was a recent question about "what is a good time for a 5k?", well my answer was like "any time you feel like running a 5k, that's a good time". Definitely a good time today! Hmm, guess I'd better skip lunch today, the supermarket bought chicken salad can live its time out in the office fridge until the bitter end, its back to the office-stripping weight-lifting exercise for me this afternoon.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment