Tuesday 29 April 2014

Mayday (well, almost) meander

Today is the closest I'll be able to get to a meander on Mayday this year. Luckily the sunshine is streaming in through the window all morning, there seems to be only the lightest breeze, and I've got some free time this afternoon. Some me time, some time among the hills.

I'm starting at the car park near Castlelaw Hill Fort. The sun is shining bright, I'm warm, the sky is so blue, with great fluffy puffy balls of cotton wool. Its just beautiful, I'm so glad I was able to come here at this time. I'm not going up to the hill fort today, I'm going the other way, on the path around the farm through the trees. Its all good here, lovely little lambs, and the start on a gorgeous little earthy rooty track.

Beautiful start near Castlelaw Hill Fort
Kissing gate onto tracks around the farm ...
... with lovely little lambs ...
... and a delightful earthy rooty track through the trees.
The path leads onto a gravel/stone/mud farm track underneath the army firing ranges. Music today is no music, except the singing of birds and bleating of lambs, oh joy. Also, rather less pleasant, gunfire. The ranges are in use today, the raggedy red flags are flying. I'm practically 'running naked', no music, no garmin, no waterproofs, no rucsac, just a little bumbag with windproof, phone, keys, water, and a few other bits and bobs, wearing shorts and t-shirt (no leggings, yay) and red-faced sweat-soaked anyway. Coming clear of the trees I have good views down over Glencorse Reservoir, and I've never seen the water so low. I might pop down there for a ganders on the way back to the car. Right now I'm turning a bit to the north and heading up on softer tracks above the Kirk Burn. To my right the sheet of metal which must be part of the army training. I've seen this thing so many times and wondered what as to the purpose, then I saw the same thing in use in airports in India, not the most relaxing sight for the tired traveller.

Farm track below the military firing ranges at Castlelaw
The raggedy reg flags are flying today, with the sound of gunfire.
Views over Glencorse Reservoir, water very low at the moment.
I'm heading up above Kirk Burn
Hide behind this sort of thing with automatic rifle sticking out of the 'letter box' ... Airport, New Delhi.
It's a delight along this track. There are no urban sounds. The folds of the hills hide me from the noise of the nearby A702. There seems to be less gunfire or perhaps it is simply muffled by the hillside. The bird songs are sweet and lambs bleat, divine. There are other sounds, clouds of small insects in the air, and the buzzing of big fat bumble bees. The insects are feasting on exposed flesh, I'd really like to take my shirt off here it is so warm, but not with these dratted insects. The bumble bees have started to become a bit of a nuisance as well, they seem to spend too long hanging around me, flying too close to me, at least too much so for my comfort. I wonder if they are attracted to the bright colour of the yellow shirt? There are other sounds, human voices from the other side of the valley, I can see a couple of mountain bikers coming down the Phantom's Cleugh, and a group of walkers traversing below Capelaw, the bark of a dog, I can make it out running ahead of the walkers, no doubt chasing some scent unavailable to the human nose. Me, I can mostly smell sheep, and here comes a lovely little lamb trotting along the path. This path, after rain, can be a complete mudbath. Today the ground is in pretty good condition, although still having a few moments.

Lovely going along the path, so peaceful
Hello little lamb
This is a good path, often muddy ...
... with a few downs-and-ups crossing small streams.
I'm approaching Fala Knowe, a 'bump' between Castlelaw and the Caerketton Ridge, where I stop for some water and check the time. Hmm, I've been slow today, I'd better turn back toward the car park now. I reach the little footpath beside the trees down to the reservoir, I'm tempted to turn down and go have a look at the low water. I'll be on the asphalt for a while before I can climb back up to the farm, but as I look along the rougher track in front of me I decide to continue straight ahead, splashing through the water (well, doesn't it help to clean the shoes?). For no particular reason a red-faced selfie along the way. It seems like no time passes and I'm approaching the farm (with happy wet feet), a quick check of time and I'm here earlier than expected. I guess I was quite a bit faster coming down than I had been going up. Oh well, I'll just pop down the other track to Glencorse, have a ganders, and suffer the asphalt. A good steep path careering down through the gorse, brilliant. The water is indeed very low in the reservoir.

Approaching the bump of Fala Knowe
Tempted to descend to the reservoir ...
... but deciding to remain on the farm track and splash through the water.
For no particular reason a red-faced selfie
Near the farm, time to spare so descend ...
... good fun careering down through the gorse
Indeed the water levels are very low here!
Tolerating a kilometre of asphalt I arrive at the bottom of the steep path, the one I'd decided earlier I would not bother to descend, well now its time to ascend and loop back to the farm near the car park. Lots of trees falling over here after the big winds, and more troubles with bumble bees. Anyway, I feel much cooler now, the sun is obscured by grey clouds, the wind has freshened, might rain soon.

What comes down must go up again ...
... lots of uprooted trees (and bees!)
Skies darken, wind freshens, maybe rain coming.
Nice little peaceful (apart from the guns) meander of about 8km with ascent/descent about 210m, mostly walking uphill, always running downhill, out for about an hour and a quarter. Worked for me today!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment