Sunday 5 May 2013

Mornish Morning Meander

Sunday early morning after a night on the uisge beatha from the distillery at Tobermory (recommended). It's cool and the wind is blowing hard but it's not raining, and we might even get some sunshine. I'm thinking of a longer meander around the Mornish peninsula starting and finishing outside our self-catering at Calgary Farmhouse (also recommended). I'll start on the Calgary Art in Nature woodland walk here, then head inland over the small hills, off to the north-west tip of Mull at Caliach Point, and return as much as possible around the coast on the raised seabed.

Calgary Farmhouse
Woodland Walk
Sculpture - igloo?
Sculpture - tunnel?
Sculpture - stag!
Heading uphill on woodland trail paths
The trail reaches a small summit and I can see the hills above. There is a little sunshine now and the colours are wonderful. I'll climb a few fences and head up over the tops here. It's rough marshy boggy ground underfoot but I don't mind today. I startle a a few small groups of deer. The views to the east and the north are excellent. I can make out Langamull Beach from here, perhaps I've been going a little too much in a northerly direction. I need to stop and remove my jacket, so it's a good time to check the map now.

The hills above and wonderful colours
Marshy boggy ground
I've startled a small group of deer
Fine views to the east and more deer
Views to the North
I need to turn a bit to the east toward Caliach Point, but first I'll stop off at a Standing Stone marked on the map. I continue on rough marshy ground following the overhead electric wires which lead to Caliach Farm near the point. There are more deer running away across the tops of the crags to my left. Soon Caliach Point comes into sight and it's a beauty. I'm a little nervous working through a herd of highland cattle with calves near Caliach Farm, the cattle also seem nervous. The views toward Caliach Point and to the north are sublime here.

Standing stone
Following the overhead power lines toward Caliach
Deer running away on top of the crags

Isolation
Caliach Point and farm

Careful around the cattle
Sea cliffs at Caliach Point ...

... with fine views to the north.

It's a bit of a slog up to the top of Caliach Point but well worth the effort. Today visibility is pretty good. To the east in the distance we see Coll and Tiree. To the south Staffa and the uninhabited Treshnish islands. I turn south here and head back toward Calgary along the coast along an undulating route, with occasional spectacular views of the sea crashing onto the rocks below. The're a stiff wind to my face and it's hard work along this section of the run, but that's okay, the sun is shining and the scenery is superb.

Summit of Caliach Plateua, views of Coll and Tiree to the east ...

... Staffa and the Treshnish islands to the south.

Waves crash onto rocks below

The undulating route goes down ...

... and up for a few miles here.
There are charming steep sided coves, and sometimes the cliffs relent allowing me to get nearer to sea level for a moment. I reach a prominent rocky outcrop which is a landmark on the route today. Soon I shall rejoin and reverse the paths I took coming away from Calgary Bay a couple of days ago.

Small steep sided cove
The cliffs relent and I can approach sea level
This rocky outcrop is a landmark for me today
Rugged coastal scenery
I'm enjoying running along the raised sea bed here in the sunshine with views of the waves crashing over the rocks below to my right. The path soon returns me to Calgary Bay where I pass through a very tall kissing gate back onto the Woodland Walk bringing me back to Calgary Farmhouse.

Nice running along raised seabed in the sunshine ...

... with views of blue seas and waves crashing onto rocks below.

I'm soon back at Calgary Bay ... 
... and through a tall kissing gate back onto the Woodland Walk
I've had a marvellous outing this morning, sometimes easy, sometimes hard, but always the sights have been a feast for my eyes, the sounds of nature music to my ears, and the smell of the sea air was wonderful. I've gone about 15.5km and overall the climb was about 450m. I've been on the go for a little over two hours and I never saw a soul from the moment I left Calgary Farmhouse until I reached Calgary Bay almost two hours later.

Update: I've uploaded the complete photo set from this outing here.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment