Wednesday 22 May 2013

Corstorphine Hill

The sunshine today has been splendid. I've spent the morning in running kit after a short "school run" earlier and I decide to skip lunch and get me an hour of off road running in the sun. I'm wondering where to go, somewhere close to home, off road, somewhere less familiar ... now I remember I've only ever been up Corstorphine Hill once, on a rainy day in road shoes, sliding all over the place ... problem solved.

I'm starting at the entrance on Corstorphine Road, only about a mile and a half from home. The trail leads up through trees and gorse to some ruined building and through a stone arch. I spot a zebra to my left. Yes, you read right there, a zebra. The trail here runs along the edge of Edinburgh Zoo. The path continues to a viewpoint with the charming name "Rest and Be Thankful". The view across the city towards Arthur's Seat is really good here.

Corstorphine Hill Local Nature Reserve

The trails lead up through trees ...
... and bright yellow gorse ...
... to the ruin of an old stone building ...
... and through a stone arch.

To my left there are zebra.
Rest and Be Thankful ...
... a super little viewpoint.
There are lots of trails through the trees here and a kind dog walker helps me with directions. I'm soon approaching a mast and Clermiston Tower. The main path here descends on steps but soon I'm exploring the side paths, happy running down a narrow trail here until ... I run out of trail ... looks like the edge of an old quarry ahead. No problem, just backtrack a little and take a different trail. I'm soon at some old quarries and then on my way back up on another footpath through the trees.

Terrific trails through the trees ...
... some damaged in storms over winter.
Clermiston Tower appears through the trees.

The main footpath leads down some steep steps ...
... but I'm soon off down the narrow side trails ...
... until I run out of trail here.
Old quarries
Now I'm heading back uphill on a main foot path through more green trees.
The crest of the hill here is a maze of paths, some muddy, taking me through a pretty little steep sided valley, and what feels like no time at all I'm back at the bottom of the steps near the tower. I take the path to my left past some impressive exposed roots. I soon find myself back at Rest and Be Thankful where a kind couple at the viewpoint take a photograph.

Mud!

Side trails take me into this pretty little valley ...
... and back toward the steps near the tower.
Impressive exposed roots.
Running to Rest and Be Thankful
I decide to descend on a small path around the edge of the zoo. I see some more exotic creatures, I don't have a clue what these are. The path brings me to a grassy clearing and excellent view of the Pentlands. I take another narrow side trail through the undergrowth and a few minutes later I'm returning to the entrance on Corstorphine Road.

More animals at the zoo
Loving the sight of the Hills from here
More narrow side trails through the undergrowth
Returning to the entrance at Corstorphine Road
That was a gorgeous little run in the sun, there's more to discover here, and a splendid addition to future urban running routes. I'm definitely a happy old plodder today.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment