Sunday 21 April 2013

Pune Sunset

I'm in Pune, India, on work again, arriving at the hotel this afternoon in a sweltering 37C. I really enjoyed the sunrise runs on the little hills near the hotel last time I was here, today I have my mind on sunset scenes. I leave the hotel about 5:15PM in temperatures of around 35C and head along streets to the temple of Ram and then on the trails up Vetal Tekdi, with bright sunlight through the trees ahead of me.

Bright sunlight through trees ascending Vetal Tekdi
Oh dear, I've arrived at the temple on top of the hill far too early. I've been too eager to get out again. Whenever I've been here before I've been noticing little towers along the edge of a wall. I decide to explore and find a new path descending in the right direction. Some local folk advise me there's another temple along there, and it's worth a visit. I pass two of the little towers often on rough stony ground, but still haven't found a temple.

Tower near wall

Rough stony running here

Tower near wall, easier going underfoot
I decide to turn back and return to Vetal Tekdi, and on return I meet a runner I had passed on this path earlier. We stop for a brief chat, the temple is further along the path, a quick calculation shows I don't really have time to make it to the temple and return to the top of Vetal Tekdi for sunset. Well, on the brightside, looks like I've got some exciting opportunities for early morning explorations this week :-) I once again reach the top of Vetal Tekdi early. The new grassy path I've found is quicker going than the steep path I'd been using on previous visits. I just hope there aren't any snakes in the grass here!

Hope there are no snakes in the grass here!
I decide to have a bit of a look around and find a pretty flowering tree. There are people climbing the rickety old rusted watch-tower - rather them than me. There are quite a few people up at the temple now and they've all removed shoes before climbing the last few steps ... guess I should do the same.

Pretty flowering tree
Climbing the rickety old watch tower

Shoes off for the temple
 I watch the sun slither behind the distance mountains until day is done ... sublime scenes.

The sun slithers behind the distant mountains ...




... and day is done.
I have a steep rough descent back to the roads now and away goes the camera for today, the light will fade fast now.

Rough descent in fading light.
Phew that was a sweaty bit of running on a hot afternoon but it's been a bit of fun, and for me at least, it beats the hotel treadmill, of course. I've been on the move for just under an hour, covered about 8.5km, and climbed about 200m ... straight after about 20 hours of tiresome travel. I feel good, time to shower and dinner.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment