Tuesday 30 April 2013

Little Ochil Evening Outing

I'm working near Stirling today and overnighting at one of my all time favourite bed and breakfast places Number Ten, I can really recommend this super little place if you need somewhere for a couple of nights here.

It's a beautiful evening, sunset is hours away, and I'm excited about the chance of an outing in the Ochil Hills. I've walked these hills before, some fine hills, but this will be my first run here. I only have an hour or so to spare, so I'm heading for a little Ochil, Dumyat, starting from a small car park on the Sherrifmuir Road. I've never been on Dumyat before, but I've heard that it's a little gem. I reckon the route I have in mind will take about 55 minutes, allowing for a few minutes of cam and nav stops. I'm really looking forward to the next hour.

Dumyat and Wallace Monument from supermarket car park.
Through the gate the route starts with a gentle ascent, sheep, and lots of pretty little lambs. The ewes keep a watchful eye on me as I saunter past, the lambs are all bleating, such sweet music. The path soon levels and it's a good chance to pick up the pace. The easy summit of Dumyat lies ahead and two walkers approach in the distance. The ground is mostly dry and firm but there are patches of the good soft stuff here and there, just what my feet want for after so many miles on the dusty hard trails and city streets of Pune last week.

The beginning, at the gate, the sign reads "Dogs not under control will be (illegible)"
The route starts with a nice gentle ascent ...

... and lots of lovely lambs.
The good soft stuff, happy feet today.

There are lots of runners up here today, they're preparing for the Dumyat Hill Race about a week away. You can make out one chap descending here. We passed on a narrow technical part of the path, he was descending at speed, I was ascending like a snail ... I jumped out of his way of course, and we exchanged what few friendly words were able in the briefest of  moments. Two more runners at the summit (both had passed me minutes earlier as I fumbled with clothing adjustment) and then there were three! Everyone is so friendly tonight, it's brilliant, I'm loving it. The views from up here are gorgeous this evening.

Runner descending (hint: zoom)
Two more runners at the summit of Dumyat ...
... and me makes three.


The bigger Ochil hills

Forth vallley

Little sister Castle Law, I'm heading here now

Descending Dumyat I'm bearing south toward little sister Castle Law where the map shows the remains of a hill fort and a couple of cairns. I should have made a mental note of the foothpaths here on my way up Dumyat. I'm crashing through the heather now looking for some kind of track. I find a small trod before long and reach the summit. There's little to see of the hill fort, but there are cairns, and sheep. The views down over the Wallace Monument and Forth valley are wonderful.



Crashing through the heather ...
... but soon finding a good trod.
Summit of Castle Law, cairn and sheep
Great views over Forth valley and Wallace Monument atop Abbey Craig
Time to descend again and return to the car park. It's a beautiful and fast descent, rarely steep, sometimes rocky and technical, but mostly on soft or wet ground, and such a peaceful place. Yes, Dumyat really is a little gem. Isn't life wonderful!

Beautiful fast descent terrain
Peace and beauty, isn't life wonderful!
The ending, small car park on Sherrifmuir Road
This was very definitely happy hour. I've been on the go for 54:35, distance 6.6km, ascent 270m, running and snapping like a child. It's been warmer than I'd expected as well, I was over-dressed, so there was one stop to reduce upper layers ... I could also have done without the tights this evening ... fingers crossed it'll be shorts and vest days soon.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment