Saturday 31 August 2013

Meldon Mince

This week I've been nursing a horrible huge heel blister since a long run out in the Pentland Hills last weekend. The second of two short try-out runs on Wednesday evening ended as a hobble ... heel not ready for a proper run. One short try-out run on Friday was tolerable, far from perfect, but with blister plaster and strapping it might be alright. So I set out this morning for a moderate run over the Meldon Hills just a little north-west of Peebles. I walked these once, on November 6, 2011 with my family. So, its been a long time, and hello again ... I've been itching to run over you beauties for months.

I'm parked at a picnic area on the undulating unclassified road heading south-west from Eddleston through the heart of the Meldon Hills alongside Meldon Burn. The figure-of-eight route plan today has me heading north traversing White Meldon Hill above the burn, then a turn south-east to the summit of the hill, descending in a southerly direction, and turning westward to bring me back to the start point. From here I'll climb again up sister hill Black Meldon, descend to the west, then turn south to traverse the hill above the burn, finishing at the picnic area. White Meldon is ahead of me to the north-east but first I must cross the very pretty Meldon Burn.

White Meldon ahead of me to the north-east 
First I must cross the very pretty burn

I am making my traverse on scraps of sheep track through the heather above the burn, and rough ground, and burrowing through the bracken. Black Meldon to my left looks beautiful. I soon pass near the remains of an ancient settlement. This area is full of ancient remains, settlements, homesteads, hill forts. The tops of both White and Black Meldon are the sites of ancient hill forts. Driving along the road to the car park there were great piles of stones in the fields to my left, the remains of ancient hut circles.

Traverse on scraps of tracks above the burn ...
... and burrowing through the bracken.
Beautiful Black Meldon ... we will meet again soon

Below to my left the remains of an ancient settlement
I've been on a steady ascent for the last few minutes but now I make my turn south-east and the gradient steepens, and I'm across the heather to pick up some ATV tracks which will take me most of the way to the summit. I'm finding it hard going now, for some reason unknown to me harder than I'm used to in these conditions, and the wind has picked up from being a nuisance to being a bit of a challenge. And it has started to rain. And I am starting to feel cold. So I stop to pull my half-zipped jacket smock like over my head. Now I feel better. Onward and upward and the summit cairn and trig are always a welcome sight. The views from here on a clear day are simply wonderful, but this is not the most clear day. The fierce wind is blowing from the west, and there is heavy weather coming in my direction.

The ascent changes from steady to steep ...
... and the sight of the summit trig ...
... are welcome to the eyes of the old plodder.

The views from here are wonderful on a clear day ...
... there is heavy weather coming from the west ...

The wind has managed to increase and likewise the rain, so I do not want to hang around here at the summit area. Fast down on rough ground, passing some old stone walls, and more scraps of tracks through the heather and bracken, the weather is very poor, I am thinking about cutting short when I reach the picnic area. Its not long before the picnic area comes into sight, and now the rain has abated and the sun is out ... yippee! Soon back at the car and a very quick bite of lunch is welcome. Less welcome, turns out I was not organised last night on preparations of the electronics - the camera battery has run out of charge.

Fast descent on rough grassland in poor weather ...
... passing more old stone, weather improving ...
... the car park comes into sight, loop one almost complete.
I'm back at the car park now wet with rain and sweat. Jacket off and stowed back in the bum bag, leave the dead camera in the car, and away up Black Meldon. Its a steep climb for little old me but the sun is shining bright and I'm huffing and puffing my way up and sweating hard. The summit reached I pause to swig some water, enjoy the view, and check my watch. Aha, here's another prep error, its blank. No matter, a bit of fun with the steep descent and then a sweet traverse on ATV tracks back to the picnic area.

I'm back at the car a second time and my feet are wet, they have been for quite a while now, so off with the wet running shoes, and the wet socks. The blister plaster and fabric strapping arrangement has survived better than expected, and there's been no problem whatsoever in that department, I've been fortunate there. Just in case you're wondering why this was "Meldon Mince" (apart from the attractive alliteration), this was the first time since the late snows earlier this year that I've done the "ballerina thing"..

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment