Tuesday 9 July 2013

The end of the day

Scorchio again today and a busy day for the old plodder. Sometimes you just have to run when you can, today I'm out late, into the hills at the end of the day, not in the car, but on the #4 bus from near home to Hillend. Feeling good not having to drive this evening and excited by the sight of Caerketton Hill through the window. I think I love this bus, it has just whisked me from home to the beloved darlings, for just £1.50, what a bargain! The start is from the car park at the bottom of the road to the ski centre above. Its gentle ascent at first but soon steep and stepped. I discover that camera control is not my forte this evening. I will start this excursion with Caerketton Hill, it looks dauntingly far away at the moment, perhaps I should not look.

Excited by the sight of Caerketton hill through the window ...
... of the brilliant #4 bus.
The ascent starts from the car park at first gentle ...
... and then not so gentle
Caerketton Hill looks so far away.
The sun is low in the sky and I had hoped to be atop Caerketton at sunset. Most times on a sunset run I am too eager at the start, and arrive too early. Today I will be late. Arthur's Seat looks sublime and the city below me will soon be all lit up. The sun is sliding down toward the Ochils far away and the lights are on around the ski centre. I'm still heading up the steep, huffing and puffing, but really I've only just started.

The sun is low in the sky already
Arhtur's Seat looks sublime
The city below will soon be all lit up
The sun is sliding behind the distant Ochil Hills
I'm huffing and puffing up the early steep
Today, for a change, I'm running along the easier path over the top of the ski centre. The path turns up to the left and wee bit of steep once more. The sun slides down behind the skyline of the Ochill Hills and still Caerketton towers above me. I am, as expected, late. I have three summits after Caerketton tonight, and I'm wondering when the head-torch will come out. I reach the summit of Caerketton, the city has started to light up, there is still a glow of sun in the distance, and ahead my second target, Allermuir Hill.

The easier path along the top of the ski slope ...
... soon turns left, and up, and a wee bit of steep
The sun slithers behind the horizon ...
... and Caerketton Hill still towers above me
The city starts to light up ...
... there is bit of a a glow from the sun in the distance ...
... and ahead my second target, Allermuir Hill/
Its almost always a perfect pleasure running along the ridge between Caerketton and Allermuir, tonight is no exception. The city lights below are brighter and the glow in the distance is dimmer. Soon atop Allermuir Hill I'm looking through the fence at my third target, Castlelaw, and wondering whether I'll be there before dark. I think I will, there's a sharp descent of Allermuir, a little distance on a good track, then a short sharp ascent of Castlelaw. Just before I set off I take a moment to recall a sunset run here in early April admiring the orange glow of the snow. Right now, early July, there is no snow, its really warm, and even at this late hour I have a good sweat. Then I'm off and I'm flying and it feels like no time at all has passed before I'm up over Castlelaw. The flag is not flying at the moment, this is the first time I've seen the flag down in so long I cannot remember. The flat top of Capelaw, my fourth and final summit tonight, is before me.

The city lights are brighter, the late evening glow is dimmer
On top of Allermuir Hill looking toward Castlelaw

On top of Castlelaw looking toward Capelaw
On the path from Castlelaw to Capelaw I pause to peer in the direction of Glencorse. There is one little light from the distant farmhouse. Its good going over Capelaw, the often soggy ground is dry, the light is poor but the grassy paths are easy for the feet to feel their way. I reach the summit marker and the city is all lit up now. My camera control could be better but perhaps the less than steady hand makes for interesting effects. I remember being up here in the snow one Sunday morning four months ago. Descending Capelaw toward Bonaly reservoir, it's 11:15pm, but I'm bathed in sweat, and the shirt is removed. The light is getting very poor now but at the moment there's just about enough for me to run without head-torch. Soon, no more, as I approach the forest another visual effects photograph of the city all lit up, then out with the head torch and I'm all lit up. The view for the next wee while will be just one pool of light.

Looking toward Glencorse one solitary light from the distant farmhouse
Visual effects photographs from the summit of Capelaw ...
... the city below is all lit up now.
Descending toward Bonaly Reservoir it is late, the light is poor, but I am sweating hard
Just before the forest another visual effects photograph of the city all lit up ...
... then I am all lit up and this pool of light is the only view.
I have about a mile of road work now under the street lights through Bonaly and down to Colinton where I can pick up the Water of Leith toward Slateford. I'm on the west bank along the old branch railway line and as I approach the tunnel there's a small let down for me, this sign means the nearby bridge is not available, I'll have to stay on the hard asphalt of the bicycle track instead of the dirt paths over the river. No matter, its nice running through the tunnel. Now as I run along the cycle track midnight approaches, I see my hot breath in the cooler air, and its time to yank the shirt off the belt of my bum-bag and pull it over the old head. I am soon at the visitor centre in Slateford and the chance of another visual effects photograph. Over the road and back into the dark, I peer at the steps up to the canal. I'm feeling great, I'm feeling like I'd run all night, I'm tempted to head up the steps and put in a few miles along the canal ... but no, it is after midnight now, I must hurry home.

Oh dear, its the asphalt of the cycle path for me tonight.
Nice running through the tunnel at night.
More visual effects photography at the visitor centre in Slateford
The steps up to the canal are temptation ...
Well that was nice, very nice, very very nice. No tedious driving required, a lovely bit of mixed terrain running, and its been a few months since the head torch has seen any action. I've been on the go for about ten minutes under two hours, just a shade over 16km, and a total ascent of about 520m. I've been running in the hills at night bare chested and sweating anyway. I saw plenty of cars on the roads of course. On the hills there I saw only one person, a chap coming down Caerketton with his dog, in t-shirt and bermuda shorts (the chap, not the dog, haha). Along the river side cycle track in the dark I also saw only one person, startled by the beam of my head torch. I'd like to do some more of these hot summer night runs in the hills. It'd also be good to get some better night time camera skills.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment