Sunday 30 June 2013

Roslin Romp

Returning from Wether Law yesterday I noticed road signs for Roslin Glen Country Park. I've been aware of Roslin since I cant remember when due to the famous Rosslyn Chapel but I was not aware of a country park here. I'm late getting out today so I decide to explore and seek out some nice paths along the River Esk.

There's a good sized car park and picnic area and glorious wildflowers catch my eye immediately. The footpath leads me through lovely green trees to the river and its a little charmer. There's a wooden footbridge over here and lots of up and lots of steps to the remains of Roslin Castle. Just a slight ascent and a turn to the right brings me toward Rosslyn Chapel.

Wildflowers at the car park and picnic area
The footpath leads through the trees to ...
... a small wooden footbridge over the river.
This river is a little charmer

Up we go on steps through the trees ...
... to the remains of Roslin Castle, and ...
... nearby Rosslyn Chapel
I can see narrow paths through the plants here which seem to lead back down to the river. These are the paths less trod ... you have to love the nettles. In a moment I have delightful small dirt tracks through the trees beside the river, ah, this is the life. I notice some giant weeds to my right. The footpath ascends and the river is far below me to my right, then a steep and rapid descent on a zig-zag brings me back to the river bank. Looks like a cave on the other side of the river, marked on the map as "Wallace's Cave". I've no idea what the story is there.

Down through the meadow toward the river ...
... and loving the nettles.
Soon a delightful little dirt track through the trees beside the river ...
... with some giant weeds,
The path rises high above the river ...
... and descends again opposite a cave.
There are lots of fallen trees across the footpath so I'm having a bit of an obstacle course jumping and ducking. Some red sandstone cliffs to my left are wonderfully weathered. The footpath continues to undulate rising high above the river and dropping back down again. Through the trees I see a free standing pillar of rock on the cliffs opposite, and sure enough there's something marked "Hanging Rock" on the map. I'm really enjoying the wildflowers, foxglove, dog rose, yellow furze.

Fallen trees create an obstacle course

Wonderfully weathered sandstone
Hanging Rock
Foxglove
Dog Rose
Yellow Furze
The river bends away to the right and my path leads up again, more steps through Hewan Wood to a path along the edge of Bilston Wood. There's a wooden bridge over the road here, its a cycle path, I leave the road here but the cycle path is hard under my feet. The cycle path takes me through farm land, lots of cows. The Battle of Roslin was fought here in February 1303.


The river bends away to the right ...
... oh what a sight.
I turn left and up though the tress on more steps ...
... and then alongside Bilston wood, farm fields to the left.
The wooden bridge carries a cycle path ...
... through green farm fields and lots of cows ..
... and past the Mountmarle Monument.
I can run along grass verges from here which provides some relief. Looking over to the Pentland Hills there is heavy rain there, and it'll probably be here before long. I'm on my way back to Roslin now, pounding the streets for a short while. Not such interesting running for me, but some pretty little cottages. Soon I return past the chapel and the castle and back down the steps through trees to the charming riverside and more wonderful woodland wildflowers. The rain is starting as I approach the car park and picnic area, so that worked out well. Five minutes later it was cats and dogs.

Nice soft grass verges provide some relief
Heavy weather over the Pentland Hills

Pretty little cottages in Roslin

Back down the steps through the trees ...
... to the charming riverside ...
... and wonderful woodland wildflowers.
Bliss!
Returning to the car park its just starting to rain
That was a very nice little exploration for me and a piece of luck on the timing at the end. I'll be back here sometime and I'll try harder to avoid the streets of Roslin. I've been on the go for about 55 minutes, I've just run 7.2km, and with all the rises and drops beside the river the ascent comes out to about 160m.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment