Saturday 5 January 2013

Pentlands plod: January 5, 2013

I seem to have practiced the noble art of slow running these last few weeks, and today was no exception ... perhaps something to do with the festive excess, perhaps the wind and the terrain ...

I set out mid-morning from the car park at Thriepmuir near the reservoir. After a short warm-up section on paved roads the route today takes me along the "Red Road". The ground here is almost always muddy, and with all the precipitation we've had recently, well you can imagine. I have a strong headwind as well, so it's not the easiest of starts, but at least this will be a tailwind for the main ascents this morning.

Starting at the Thriepmuir car park


... the route starts with a tree lined ascent on road ...
... onto the Red Road ...

... where ground conditions are situation normal.
After what felt like endless miles I reach the highest point of the Red Road and turn to the left for the ascent of West Kip. The path is killer steep here, yet these two runners seemed to be able to run to the top ... me, I ran a bit, I walked a bit. The views from the top of West Kip are always wonderful on a clear day. I take a moment to look down to East Kip, the next target, and up to South Black Hill - I'm heading there after I'm over the Kips.

Ascending West Kip

East Kip, viewed from West Kip
South Black Hill, viewed from West Kip
I descend East Kip in the direction of Scald Law and then take the small path to the right which leads to South Black Hill. There is a stone shelter atop South Black Hill, which is very handy for hill walking trip lunch stops on windy days. I take a moment here to admire the views, first looking back over the Kips where I've just been, and then toward Scald Law and Carnethy Hill. These beauties are my next two targets.

Descent of East Kip

Ascent of South Black Hill
Stone shelter on South Black Hill


The Kips, viewed from South Black Hill

Scald Law and Carnethy Hill, viewed from South Black Hill
It's a short jaunt from South Black Hill to the trig point at the summit of Scald Law, the highest point in the Pentland Hills. The descent toward Carnethy Hill is steep, and there is well maintained footpath ... I love this descent, it's a lot of fun to run.

The flat summit of Scald Law

Descent of Scald Law, should be fun!

Looking back at descent of Scald Law, was big fun!
I am ascending Carnethy Hill now, at the summit there are several stone shelters, very popular with the walkers.  The descent of Carnethy Hill toward Turnhouse Hill is similar to the descent of Scald Law ... another big fun run!

Ascending Carnethy Hill

Ascending Carnethy Hill

Stone shelters at summit of Carnethy Hill
The descent of Carnethy Hill - should be fun!

Looking back at descent of Carnethy Hill - was big fun to run!
From here we reach the summit of Turnhouse Hill in just a few minutes. There is a small stone cairn summit marker here. The descent is steep, grassy and muddy. There are a lot of casual walkers here this fine morning.

Turnhouse Hill summit marker cairn.
Steep, grassy, muddy descent from Turnhouse Hill
I am following the path to Flotterstone, the most popular parking area and starting point for excursions in the Pentlands, but I turn to the left on the path past the old filter beds, a small diversion to admire the waterfall, and then some more climb up to the road past Glencorse reservoir.

The path to Glencorse reservoir, by the old filter beds

The waterfall is impressive after recent precipitation
The path ascends toward the Glencorse reservoir road  ...
... where I have great views of the reservoir.
I soon leave the road to the right on a steep path alongside some trees. The path brings me to the track running underneath the military firing ranges at Castlelaw toward my right, but after a brief pause to look back over the reservoir, I take the left here. I have excellent views of smaller hills, Harbour Hill and Bell's Hill, these will be the last two summits on the run today. Soon to the right there is a local landmark, something I guess the military use for training exercises, and of course the inevitable sheep.

Looking back at the view over Glencorse reservoir

Bell's Hill

Harbour Hill

Some sheep, and ... a thing!
The path soon bends around the contours of the ground to the right and the flat top of Capelaw comes into view. This is my next target today. The path here is pretty good, and easy to run, but this soon changes. I knew the ground here is boggy, marshy, muddy, and there's been all this precipitation of late, how on earth did I get the brilliant idea to come this way? Well, it's up but it's not steep, and in good conditions it should be an easy, pleasant ascent. Today, the conditions underfoot are awful, I can feel the strength in my legs being drained with every step, I struggle to keep any kind of pace, in fact I am struggling to run much here. Oh well, never mind, carry on, what choice do we have ..

The flat summit of Capelaw comes into view, this is my next target

Conditions underfoot are deteriorating!
It feels like fovever, but I do at last reach the ascent of Capelaw, and the summit marker ... another "thing", perhaps of military training exercise significance. The flat top of Capelaw is like a sponge for the rain, but after a few minutes of squelching I reach the descent in the direction of Harbour Hill, with a nice view over little Bonaly reservoir.

At last, the ascent of Capelaw is reached

The summit marker on Capelaw, another "thing"

The flat top of Capelaw is like a sponge for the rain ... squelch!

The descent of Capelaw toward Harbour Hill is soon reached

With a nice view over little Bonaly reservoir
The ground between Capelaw and Harbour Hill is boggy, but it doesn't last long, and soon a short sharp ascent of Harbour Hill. Just like it's big sister, this little hill has a flat top which is a sponge for the rain.

Boggy ground between Capelaw and Harbour Hill

Ascent of Harbour Hill
The flat top of Harbour Hill is a sponge for the rain
I continue to the short descent from Harbour Hill into the Maiden's Cleugh ... very popular with walkers and bikers here. Then from the cleugh it's a short ascent of Bell's Hill, the last summit for me today. The descent into Dens Cleugh is extremely steep, the walkers are having a hard time coming up here!

Descent of Harbour Hill into Maiden's Cleugh

Ascent of Bell's hill from Maiden's Cleugh 
Steep descent of Bell's Hill into Dens Cleugh
I turn to the right on a well maintained path ... that was sarcasm, this is not a maintained footpath, it's more of a mud bath, and it's been much abused my the mountain bikers. Once more I feel the energy draining from my legs, I am really struggling to run here, I am walking and slipping and sliding more than running, but still my heart is beating like a train in my chest. No matter, before long the path descends and I have the welcome sight to the Black Springs and Thriepmuir reservoir. The terrible mud abates to be replaced by an incredible headwind which will be with me until the end of the run. I am struggling now, it really is hard work for me, my legs are becoming really tired ... oh well, never mind, carry on, ...

The well maintained footpath!
The Black Springs and Thriepmuir Reservoir
I must run around the reservoir, for a while on a pleasant path through trees, and then along some kind of dam or dyke or something. I know from here I should have fast, easy running on a good path back to the car park ... but the headwind is so strong ... this is not fast running, not easy running, this is hard running, slow running. The car park, at last, appears through the trees, relief, it ends!

Pleasant running around the reservoir through the trees
Thriepmuir reservoir

Thriepmuir car park through the trees.
I had a long run, for me anyway, the distance a little over 24 kilometres, the climb a little over 1,100 metres, and it took about four hours today. That's a plod, but it was a hard plod. The first couple of hours were wonderful, the last hour or so was hard, very hard. Still, no complaints really, a good day, and lots of lovely photos to share!


2 comments:

  1. That looks a great run and nice pictures too. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, very encouraging. Hopefully I'll be able to post something over the next week ... I'm hankering after tinto, and the paps of fife, but maybe I'll get lazy and just have a romp around holyrood park ;)

      Delete